Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday Skincare 101: Ang's Shave Favs

Good Morning My Beauty Loves!!

It's Tuesday again already.  That means it's time for another skincare 101 from yours truly.  This week I'm dedicating to shaving.  Yes, that wonderful tradition we all do to get rid of unwanted hair so we can go about our lives grizzly free. Ironically enough, I don't hear a whole lot of talk about shaving products (rarely).  So I thought, what perfect time to share.  I've put together a small list of my "Shave Favs". These loves I've been using for a long time and never strayed. Once I really love something, I stick with it.  So let's dig in......

First up is Coochy Shave Cream - Laugh if you will, but I've had this in my beauty rotation for about 3 years now.  This stuff is absolutely WONDERFUL.  This shaving cream is a 2 for 1 deal; you can use it as a  shaving cream or hair conditioner.  What you say???? That can't be right??? Oh yes, beauty gems.

 

The texture is perfect...not too light or heavy and has a wonderful scent (just like a hair conditioner). This star claims to help in preventing any irritation from shaving.  This is specifically geared towards use for my female gems lady parts.  However, you really can use this as an all over body shaving cream. I love the fact that this leaves me feeling so soft and moisturized.  As an added bonus, this product is sold in 6 different scents (original, pear berry, green tea, blush, citrus and icing on the cake)Note: Icing on the cake is only sold in the 16 oz. size.  All the other scents are sold in either 8 or 16 oz. bottles (original scent available in 4 oz. size).  The price point for these are as follows (original scent 4 oz. - $10.50; 8 oz. - $16.50; all other scents sold only in 16 oz. size - $26.00). I haven't found this formula (only other possible dupes) on the mainstream market. I've only purchased my stock from a company called Athena's.  I've officially declared this as one of my holy grails!!! 

Shaveworks  -  This is a brand I discovered about 2 years ago. Sephora is one of  the main stores that carries their products. Shaveworks is a brand developed by Anthony Brands .  Anthony Brands is a company based in New York and been in business for about 12 years now. The product lines mostly tailor to skincare for men but also include products for woman as well.  The other product lines under Anthony Brands are Anthony, Shaveworks, Action and Grandma Stelle's (brand new line being introduced to the market soon). I'm interested to learn more about this brand as I go along.


Specifically, my go to product from the Shaveworks line is The Cool Fix Gel.

I cannot say enough great things about this.  This product is an aftershave gel use to calm the skin and decrease redness, prevent ingrown hairs, razor bumps and razor burn. It's suggested that you use this product after you've shaved, use morning and night after showering.  After 2 or 3 days, I decrease my use (stopping completely after the 4th day).  I noticed great results after about 2 weeks of use. This product can make a huge difference for those who get irritation after shaving or ingrown hairs. It has a slight minty smell but nothing too crazy.  It is a gel but does soak right into your skin.  This just gets a little sticky when applying so just wash your hands right after.  This formula is great and gentle enough to for us ladies to use in the bikini area. The best part is that a little goes a long way.  You only need a small amount as this product is concentrated and gets the job done. This product is sold in two sizes: 2 and 5.3 ounces. I brought the 2 ounce size about 6 months ago and just started running low.  The 2oz. size retails for $11/5.3 oz size is $25.  A little on the pricier size but well worth the splurge.

THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR YOUR SHAVING ESSENTIALS!!!  This is another holy grail!!!  What can I say, the product is just that good. I also found out Shaveworks has the following products: The Cool Fix Lip & Brow Formula Post-Wax Rollerball and  Pearl Souffle Shave Cream . Of course, I'll be picking these us ASAP.  I sense another blog post review in the near future on these.....stay tuned.

Next would be my Skintimate Skin Therapy for Sensitive Skin .  My skin is really not too sensitive, however I tend to be very cautious about the different shaving products I use.

Skintimate suits my needs and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth.  The only downside, for me at least, is that the moisture only last but so long.  I always moisturize after shaving regardless.  There were times I waited a little while.  About an hour later, my skin felt a little dry where I shaved.  It may be just me, however, not sure if shaving gels are built to be long-lasting moisturizers anyway. This retails for about $3.50 - $4 (depending upon where purchase) in most drugstores.


Last but not least, I'm definitely a Venus Embrace Razor girl.  When I shave, I want a razor that can give me an accurate, close shave.

 

The Venus Embrace does the trick.  With 5-curved blades to get every angle, the curved handle helps to get every area you want to shave. As with other Venus razors, you have 2 moisture strips (1 on each side of the razor) to soothe your skin and replace any moisture lost. The disposable razor retails for around $5 - $7; disposable razors can average in price between $14 and $22 depending upon the number of razors you purchase per pack.


I rarely EVER EVER run out of shaving products.  However, in that once in a blue moon time frame...I admit it, I have used soap.  Whenever I've needed to do this, the only soap I use is Dove.  What can I say....it's tried and true and I love it.  Dove is one of those things you really can't 100% put into the soap category.  It's so moisturizing and leaves your skin soft and smooth (without the soapy film or ANY dryness).  I still use my Dove in combination with my shower gels.  So in a pinch, if you MUST use soap, use something that's moisturizing.

A few other little tips to leave you with on my Shaving Tips:
  1. Use a shaving cream that's moisturizing to the skin.  Dryness after you shave is inevitable so be prepared
  2. Know your skin...if you're sensitive, check the product ingredients of what you purchase.  Every product is not made for everyone. 
  3. Always, Always use an after shaving gel after every shave session
  4. Keep those shaved areas moisturized
  5. Shop around for razors that suit your needs.....there's so many to choose from so how do you pick? ??  You know what you like so start from there. Choose a razor that will do EXACTLY what you want it to do.  Don't settle for less, there's too many options on the market for that. 

That's it for my latest skincare 101!!!  If you've used any of the products above, share your thoughts below.  How did they work for you?  Are you using any other products that are your holy grails?  Be sure to share your thoughts and  DON'T FORGET to follow!!!

Have a wonderful day and as always......Happy Shopping!!!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment