Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Tuesday Skincare 101: Ang's Fav Balms and Exfoliators for Lippies

Happy Wednesday Beauty Gems!!!

OK for this week's installment of skincare 101 (a day late), I thought I'd concentrate on the lips.

With the winter season, I have a terrible time retaining moisture on my lips.  The cold weather, for most of us, just seems to try and zap away any moisture our bodies have.  As a result, we seek out products to keep us moisturized throughout the seasons.  Specifically, I have a major issues with my lips.  My lips feather terribly, crack and sometimes peel.  It's a constant battle trying to keep my lips in tact.  To add insult to injury, some of the lipsticks I cherish can really dry out my lips.  Lately, I've been more mindful of that and take extra TLC of my lips.

So in a very long and tedious search, here's some of the lip products I've come across to the rescue. I'll split up my list into 2 categories: exfoliators, moisturizers and medicated balms.

First, let's start off with exfoliators:

Exfoliators

Tarte Maracuja Lip Exfoliant - My lippie gem to the rescue.  This was discovered during one of Ulta trips.  Use this scrub to shed dead skin from your lips. The refreshing but subtle minty smell makes lip exfoliation an easy task. My lip exfoliating routine.  Although this retails for about $13, it's SOOO worth the cost. A little product sheds away traces of dry, cracked skin. I also noticed this helps with decreasing the peeling on my lips. One of my 2013 holy grails!!!

Fresh Sugar Lip Polish - Very similar to the Tarte exfoliant;  this lip polish gentle removes the dry, cracked skin and leaves you with soft, moisturized lips.  The brown sugar based product has a wonderful smell and leaves you wanting to exfoliate your lips again and again.  I love this brand and Tarte just the same.

E.L.F. Studio Lip Exfoliator - For the beauty bugeteer, this is inexpensive product that does work well. I started using this back in the summer. For only $3, a great option to shed dry, cracked skin from your lippies.  The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was that the stick started to dissemble when I got to the bottom of the tube.  Otherwise, this is a product I keep in rotation in my beauty box. 

Medicated Balms

Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balm - Many of you know how wonderful these balms really are. For those who aren't familiar, Maybelline released a line of lip balms called baby lips. The original baby lips were formulated to moisturize lips, provide sun protection with SPF (in some balms not all), Maybelline has since expanded this line to Baby Lips Electro (for more color payoff) and now this year Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balms.  These balms are wonderful for protecting and moisturizing the lips all year long.  The medicated balms are perfect for when you need a 911 rescue for lips that are dry and cracked. They feel absolutely wonderful (you'll just want to keep applying it all day long).  Available in 6 different shades and retailing for about $3; an essential in your bag/purse.

EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm - EOS (aka Evolution of Smooth) is a brand known mostly for lip balms but also manufacture other skincare products.  I love this little oval-shaped balms to pop in my purse.  They are great on the go for providing that layer of moisture and/or medicated TLC for your lips.  An added bonus, they come in a variety of scents to suit your personal needs/preferences.Each balm retails for about $2.50 - $3 each and they last 4EVERRRRR!!!  The medicated orange is great!  Has a wonderful citrus smell, just the right amount of meds to treat my lip emergencies without going overboard.  Some brands I've tried treat your lips but do way too much (to the point where my lips become sensitive....UGHHH HATE IT).

Moisturizing Balms

EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm - My absolute FAV FAV FAV from this brand is the Honeysuckle Honeydew.  I literally use this EVERY single day.  One stays on my night table on a regular basis.  As soon as I remember to pick up more, I'm keeping one in my car; the other in my purse makeup bag.  This particular one just does it for me.  It's keeps my lips soft and moisturized without any of the medicated stuff I don't need at the time.  Whenever I exfoliate my lips, if the E.L.F. lip balm is not near me, I'll quickly grab for my EOS. 


E.L.F. Essential Lip Balm Tint - Another 2013 Holy Grail!!!! E.L.F. debuted these gems this summer and they are WONDERFUL!!! What can I not say about this product....just overall an awesome product. In short, here's what makes this so great:

  • Affordable - Only $2 each!!!
  • Moisturizing
  • Versatile
For those reasons alone, I will repurchase these over and over again.  The Nude and Berry colors have a nice pigmentation so you can wear them alone.  Although I'm not crazy about lip balms in pots, the positives just make these great regardless. All you need is a small lip brush (which FYI...E.L.F.  has a great retractable lip brush for only $3)!!!  These are a MUST HAVE. 

There are other products I adore.  However, I wanted to keep my list of favs short and sweet.

Here's some other tips to remember when caring for your lippies:
  • DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!!!!  I really am one of those people that hate hearing that...however it's absolutely true. Water keeps you hydrated and also helps your skin retain moisture. Soo with that said, your lips are a delicate set....water is just as important to them as it every other part of your body.  I can actually tell now when I haven't been drinking enough water (more apparent in summer months).
  • NO BITING -  Many of us have a bad habit of biting are lips when we're anxious, excited, etc. etc. Though it seems harmless, it could really create a problem. Biting your lips can remove skin that may have otherwise just been dead skin shed away by a good lip scrub.
  • THAT INCLUDES LICKING TOO....Licking your lips can take away the moisture and dry them out...quickly.   This can cause, but not limited to...dryness, cracking or worst....skin to split...YIKES!!!! My beauty gems don't need that!!!

That's all for this installment of my Tuesday Skincare 101! Be on the lookout for a special Tuesday Skincare 101- Final Thoughts on the L'Oreal Skincare products I've been using. As always and until next time....HAPPY SHOPPING!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment